Babs Just A Babblin' Blog

A bit of Gardening, baking, blogging, knitting, sewing, family, friends and discovering hidden treasures along the way.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Paczki Bake-Off

Oh is this going to be fun or what?  Fat Tuesday, next Tuesday, February 21st.  My sister Maggie came up with the great idea of having a Paczki bake-off.
For those of you not familiar with what these are, they are a Polish tradition baked on Fat Tuesday.  They are deep fried bismarks filled with raspberry, prune filling or custard.  My mother made these every year since any of us can remember.  They are pronounced, Punch-kee.

The past few years we have excused my mother from making them.  It's just too much work for her.  We had a little dilemma last year when we made them....too many "hands in the fire". So, that is why Maggie came up with this creative idea.  It will be myself, Maggie and Phil making them.

The judge....well whom else but  my Mother...though she probably cannot be objective as she won't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I'll take pictures and let you know the grand prize winner!  Oh....I wonder what the grand prize is?  Probably the honor of making them every year from this point forward!

Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. I say you send a sample of all three to Florida and let Mike & I be the judge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb, Oh the fun! It's a tradition to have Paczki every year, but in recent years I buy them . Wish I could be on your team, oh the flour would fly!!! ( And the laughs!). Love, Penka, my Polish name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb

    Found you through Lynne at Irish Garden house.

    Wondering if Fat Tuesday is the same thing as what we call Pancake Tuesday here in Ireland, the day before Lent begins, I think it probably is.

    Hope you enjoy your treats, I can almost taste them!

    Have a good week


    Fiona

    ReplyDelete