Babs Just A Babblin' Blog

A bit of Gardening, baking, blogging, knitting, sewing, family, friends and discovering hidden treasures along the way.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paczki Day

Today is our Polish tradition of celebrating Fat Tuesday. For as long as I can remember, every Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, my mom made paczki from scratch. She filled them with raspberry and prune, fried them up, rolled in sugar. They were ready for us after our dinner.

Gosh, as I was making mine this morning, it made me wonder how my mother did it! Five kids under her feet and doing the laborous task! What a saint she is!

Traditionally, the reason for making pączki was to use up all the lard, sugar, eggs and fruit in the house, because they were forbidden to be consumed due to Catholic fasting practices during Lent.

Thus, we will eat well this evening in preparation for the Lenten season.
Tomorrow, we will begin by receiving ashes at Mass.

Here is the beginning of the paczki process. Photos of the end result (the bake-off) to be posted tomorrow.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I can wait to see the results and hear who was the winner!

    ReplyDelete