Babs Just A Babblin' Blog

A bit of Gardening, baking, blogging, knitting, sewing, family, friends and discovering hidden treasures along the way.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Need vs. Want

I spent some time this morning reading some of my blogs.  (One of my favorite things to do these days).  I came across a blog that referenced a wall print for sale by a friend of hers.  It caught my eye.  I thought,  "hmmmm...that would look really good in our bedroom."  First reaction, get the credit card out and order it up.  Here it is:  what do you think?  Nice, huh?
 So, my point is I need to take time and.....pause.  Is this a need or a want?  Well, of course, it's not a need - it's definitely a want.  I have had the bad habit of buying so many things on impulse.  In the past few weeks, I have taken on the challenge of emptying shelves in the basement, laundry room, kitchen cupboards.  There are so many things I purchased, well just because I could and just because I thought I "needed" them.  Like the pasta machine, the FoodSaver, the endless decorating items.  First it was the geese phase, then the cow phase, then the red kitchen, on and on and on.  What determines a "want" worthy of purchase?

Now that we are on somewhat of a "fixed" income, it is time for me to re-evaluate my spending patterns and really stop and think about things first.  Does it really make sense to make a purchase.  Is it impractical or necessary?  I thought I was getting pretty good at it then, WHAM, there I go again.  I look back this past month or two and I bought several things that now, I'm saying.....what the hell you were thinking..,,,,it was simply impulse.

What about you?  Do you buy on impulse or do you really think things through?  How do you go about discipling yourself?  Any tips?

It's a gloomy day here - looks like rain.  I have been thankful for the abundance of sunshine we have had and the great temperatures.  Our yard is in tip top shape - the leaves are raked, the lawn cut down, the flowers all cut back, yard furniture put away.  All that's left is wrap the bushes with burlap and clean out the gutters (I should say that's all that's left for the hubby to do).

Enjoy your day - TTFN - Babs

No comments:

Post a Comment