Babs Just A Babblin' Blog

A bit of Gardening, baking, blogging, knitting, sewing, family, friends and discovering hidden treasures along the way.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Crack..... Pumpkins

I'm really digging these pumpkins.  I recently spotted them somewhere in blogland and knew I had to give them a try.  They are easy to make:  let me tell you how.


First, hit WalMart, JoAnn's, or your local dollar store.  Buy some fake pumpkins or gourds - you know the orange ones.  Orange pumpkins are no longer my thing.  - The other supplies you will need is: spray paint  (black, brown, grey) this is the color you are going to see " crackled" on your pumpkin so you wouldn't want neon pink~ you will also  need  Weathered Wood Crackle Medium (mine was by Americana)  You can find it in with the little bottles of acrylic paints at any craft store.  Let's see,  you will need some acrylic paints and then lastly a clear spray finish.


Cover the stem with some painters tape or masking tape to protect.  Spray paint (in a well ventilated area) your pumpkins and gourds.  Allow to dry.  With a small brush, brush on the Crackle Medium and let dry. (it's a clear coat so you won't see anything happening yet.)  Next, mix up your paint to the color you want your pumpkins to be (in my picture, I used pebblestone,  linen with a hint of brown - Folk Art paints.  When your crackle is dry - then paint on your acrylic paint.  As it starts to dry, you will see it begin to "crack".  Fun, fun.
When the paint has dried, take off the stem protection and then seal with a clear coat of spray.  Let dry.  Decorate.  It's really fun making these.  If you make some, let me know what you think - you could even send me a photo.  Questions????? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment